As humans, we all make mistakes. Many situations are easily resolved with no serious implications. In the case of traffic offenses or misdemeanor crimes, there can be unforeseen difficulties that can turn a simple mistake into a serious problem.
Most people do not need to be completely informed of all laws and the legal processes. But when a traffic offense occurs there is a real need to have someone knowledgeable on hand.
We will be happy to help.
Some traffic offenses that may need professional legal guidance include:
- Speeding – even a simple speeding ticket can turn into a problem if ignored. If you are ticketed for going over the speed limit by 20 miles per hour or more, you could be at risk for very high “super speeder” fines. If the speeding ticket is ignored, a warrant could be issued for your arrest, your license could be suspended, or other fines could be applied.
- Parking violation – a simple parking ticket may not be serious, but there could be situations where you were inappropriately cited. Missing signs, human error, or malfunctioning meters can cause you to be ticketed when you were well within your rights. A legal professional can help you to determine if there was an issue to avoid the parking ticket.
- Minor accident – just a little tap seems like no big deal in many situations, but some people may react differently. Be aware that even after an accident the victim can file a police report or get the insurance company involved to try and claim damages or injuries. It is best to consult with an attorney to make sure your rights are properly covered whether you are the victim or not.
- Stop signs or red lights – the infamous traffic cameras that are used in many cities today can leave you with citations in your mailbox. These tickets and fines can become quite hefty. Because these devices are electronic, they are prone to malfunction. It is always a good idea to check with a lawyer who specializes in traffic offenses to determine if the citation is appropriate or if there is a record of the machinery working incorrectly. For police ticketing, there can also be human error or situations where the stop sign is not positioned properly. Legal advice is always a good idea to avoid substantial fines.
- DUI – in almost all situations, consulting an attorney for driving under the influence is highly advisable. Practically every DUI can have processes that are skipped and shortcuts taken that can help you have the case dismissed.
There can be other traffic offenses that may occur and could be questionable. Improper lane changes, turns, or other offenses can result in a ticket or a fine. Checking with an attorney who understands traffic laws can help more than many realize.
When looking for a good traffic offense attorney, first check their specialty and their experience. Some attorneys may only work with accident cases, while others may focus on all traffic offenses. Consult with several to find the firm that will meet all your needs and help you avoid more serious problems.